Friday, September 14, 2012

Spirit and Change

I never really felt like I fit in when I was in high school.  I remember having friends, going to football games, etc but I don't remember feeling excited to be in high school.

My 14 year old started high school last month.  I worried for her.  I worried that she would go through the same teenage adjustments I went through.  The first two weeks were challenging, but now, she seems to really enjoy herself.

Yesterday afternoon i got a fast and furious text from the girl asking me if she could hang out with some girls and make spirit tutus for the rally on Friday.  My first thought was "tutus?"  This from a girl who hates to wear girly stuff?  My second thought was anything to make her feel like she fits in.  So, after $30 of sparkly tulle and other necessary items were purchased, I took her to hang out with the girls.  She had a blast.  Today, she was nervous to go to school in her spirit gear so she brought it along to change in to , just in case the other kids didn't wear theirs.  As we pulled up to school we saw lots of spirit!

This evening, she has a friend over spending the night.  For the first hour or so that I was home, the only thing I heard around the house was fight songs.  The girls were dancing and singing and still full of spirit from the school rally.  I took the girls on a quick trip to the grocery store where they continued their cheers and dances.  It was a hoot!

I am so glad that my daughter has found her way.  I am so glad that she is confident, happy and well adjusted.  I am glad that she is not the quiet, unsure, worried mouse that I was in high school.

I am a happy mom.

No comments: